We know magnesium supplements are important on-farm, particularly at this time of year, so we wanted to make sure you’re across an emerging supply issue.
As you’re aware, COVID-19 has impacted global supply chains over the past 18 months and we’re now experiencing disruptions to our magnesium oxide and chloride supply. Despite continuing to proactively manage these challenges, recent events mean it’s likely short-term stock outages at Farm Source stores could occur during August.
One shipment is currently under quarantine off the coast of Bluff due to the crew suffering from COVID-19. We are also facing COVID-19 related delays in shipments due from Australia. We have done all we can to fast track deliveries, including bringing forward orders and are confident that sufficient magnesium will be available towards the end of the month.
The welfare of your animals is as important to us as it is to you and we are working with government, other providers and industry to understand options to manage this issue. We will be in a position to share more information over the coming days.
As we work through this, we’d appreciate your support in making your magnesium go further. We’ve outlined some options below, however, please check with your vet or farm consultant before implementing any changes.
Pre and Post Calving
- Re-calculate your requirements for each mob regularly
- Instead of dusting, mix magnesium oxide into a slurry and apply on top of supplement
- Drench magnesium oxide with water, this is the most efficient method of supplementation
- Use magnesium oxide as part of a blended feed ration
- Combine water treatment with pasture or feed application to reduce dosage of both magnesium chloride and magnesium oxide
- Identify higher risk cows in your herd and focus supplementation on them
- Use a starter drench in the first 48 hours
- In some cases, lime flour can be added to feed, but veterinary advice should be sought first
- Ensure you have enough metabolic treatments on farm
We are doing everything we can to minimise impact on farm as we know this is a busy time.
For Tradefog customers in the South Island, we do not anticipate any further disruptions to your deliveries in relation to this incident.